Sunday, December 16, 2007

Life, gifts, and books

Hey everybody. Well, the holiday season is upon us, and I've been crocheting and beading and gluing things together and clicking "Add to Shopping Cart" on Amazon for most of the past week, it seems. Thankfully, I still have Jill's nun computer (an old laptop that she lets all the Buddhist nuns use when they are visiting), and a handwritten list of passwords written in the back of a paperback (no, I'm not telling you which book), so my style isn't too cramped.

My own beloved laptop is sitting at the Mac place ready to be picked up tomorrow. It reportedly still gets the kernal error messages, but it is, apparently, not the harddrive. Their guess is that it's the motherboard that's fubar- which, of course, means it'll take mucho moola to replace. But... Alan to the rescue! Hopefully my sister's genius boyfriend will be able to set things right without it costing me hundreds of bucks that I don't have (or which will have to be my Xmas and birthday gifts from my parents combined).

In between bouts of frantic crafting (okay, not exactly "frantic"), I've been sitting in the kitchen where there's a fire going all day or bundled up in bed under lots of covers ('cause it's COLD!) reading lots 'n' lots of Brit Chick Lit. Yes, I have set aside an unread copy of John Varley's Red Lightning to read about a dozen books by Marion Keyes, Anna Mexted, and Sophie Kinsella. I guess even a gamer/sci-fi geek like me is occassionally taken over by hormones that shout "read about sophisticated career women having man troubles!" At least I can console myself with the fact that I live a very different life than the girly-girls in those books who drink too much, party too much, and have lots of anonymous drunken sex. About the only things I have in common with them is that I want a stable, loving relationship with a stable, loving man (check!) and worry about the flabby state of my butt, thighs, and stomach.

I am happy to report, however, that I am still a high-brow international film fan. (Well, the "high-brow" bit is debatable....) After a couple years of covetly having "The Happiness of the Katakuris" on my wish list, I am now the owner of a copy of a DVD. After discovering it has claymation sequences, I became a bit apprehensive. (The last/only anthropomorphic claymation film I had encountered was Live Freaky! Die Freaky!, a movie recommended and lent to me by Brianna. "You'll either love it or hate it," she said, and I did. After the first fifteen minutes or so of raunchy, explicit claymation sex, I made my decision and turned it off.) (Andrew, you would probably love it, and I therefore heartily recommend it to you.)

While the Katakuris have some wacky impromptu songs with sophomoric choreography (which were sometimes awesome), the rest of the movie was a bit awkward. Like many Japanese movies (e.g. Akira and Paprika), there is an animated sequence that makes you go, "huh?" But for the Katakuris that scene is at the end, just before a final Sound-of-Music-esque singing and running through the mountain meadow sequence, so you just briefly look at each other, shrug and laugh, before turning back to the screen and giggling.

Anyway, that's more than I was planning on writing today.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Brian Rodrgiuez said...

if it makes you feel better, you're butt is not that flabby, it's a cute butt and who doesn't like some meat on a girl's bones, all this anorexic BS we see in today's media is a disease brought upon idiots who have nothing better to do but to judge, and I may judge, but I take everyone down, especially myself. Finally, you have a cute stomach as well so why complain, all in all from head to toe, you're perfect.

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Jacob said...

Is it bad form to admit that I didn't read the post but read the comment ("ooh, someone else who comments here")?

Anyway, what Brian said, sans the shameless hitting on my friend's girlfriend. ;) The media has a bizarre idea of what "attractive women" look like. Probably because it's more interested in selling anything to everyone than anything else ("pimples!, erectile dysfunction!, eyeliner!, cell phones!, feminine hygiene!, poor sleep! and 'clean' coal!, oh my!").

 

Post a Comment

<< Home