Friday, October 27, 2006

Bit**acle

Can you believe it? My dinky little blog has been pirated! Someone may be making money off of this crap that I write! And it's not me!! (And, dammit, I could use a bit of money. A lot more than you high-tech bourgeoisie web goons.)

You can get the rundown from Plagiarism Today and Stop Bitacle. Basically, these people steal the content from blogs (text and images), incorporate the blog into new webpages that have lots of Google ads, and profit from their "advertising service." I don't know how much you can actually earn per ad, but if you over 19 million stolen blogs (as they do), you'll probably net a significant sum.

My opinion on this: If *I* don't make any money from this crap that I write, then no one should. Plus, I don't want stuff I've written showing up on some website with which I have no affiliation. (Unless it is a small piece of content, quoted, credited to me, and linked back to THIS PAGE. A little note giving me a heads-up would be nice, too.) Otherwise, that's plagiarism; and though my stuff isn't copyrighted, it is stealing.

So, yeah, here's a little note I ctrl+c'd and ctrl+p'd from Stop Bitacle for anybody who may be reading this via Bitacle:
Dear reader,

Please look carefully at the web address in the URL field of your browser. It should read ‘http://kaerith.blogspot.com‘. In case you see a web address containing the word ‘bitacle’ or ‘bitacle.org’, you’re not looking at the original page on which this text was posted. If this is the case, the text you are reading right now might be incorrect or out of date. After I place a post on my weblog, I always try to keep published information up to date, or incorporate additional information, which I receive from readers. You will never find this information on bitacle.org.

Bitacle.org copies the content of weblogs without permission of the author, the holder of copyrights or the licensee. By visiting bitacle.org, you create income for the people who run bitacle.org, at the expense of me and other owners of a weblog, without permission and often without respecting copyrights and/or terms of use as in a license. So please, next time you want to view my posts, do so by using the web address of my weblog, which is ‘http://kaerith.blogspot.com‘. Please make a bookmark of my weblog’s address, if you would like to visit it again.

Thank you!


Anyone who has a blog with an RSS feed may want to search for their webpage name or URL in Bitacle's "Blogs" searchbar.

I've changed this site's RSS feed settings to "short" *very* reluctantly. (I dislike incomplete feeds; I like to view the whole article from my feed reader.) It should stop the imposter blog from stealing my entire blog entries and direct people seeing ICTH content via Bit(ch)acle to this site. But they're still infringing on my right to allow complete RSSing.

Addendum: Looking through their "About Bitacle" page, I realized that these guys are either ESL or just can't write well. "How I can do that my blog appears in the list? How I make sure that my last news apeear immediately? Why they don’t appear my older content in the list?" If it's the latter, then no wonder they have to steal text from other people's webpages. Otherwise... it's just sad that they rely on BabelFish or Google Language Tools. If pirating blog content is so profitable, why can't they hire somebody fluent in English and Spanish to translate? Sheesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home