Friday, December 02, 2005

Religion in School

I am in my last Soc 105A (Classical Sociological Theory) lecture. My teacher put up this webpage and asked us all to stand up and sing along. (I thought it was a joke, but then people began standing up.) While she led the less than enthusiastic class, she would make comments relating to Calvinism, which is related to Weber whom we're studying: (prof's comments in parentheses)

"Thy way, ("Thy way") not mine, O Lord,
However dark it be;
Lead me by Thine own hand,
Choose out the path for me. ("See? Predestination?")

"Smooth let it be or rough,
It will be still the best;
Winding or straight, it leads
Right onward to Thy rest. ("Predestination.")

"I dare not choose my lot; ("You're all starting to get pissed off now, right?")
I would not, if I might;
Choose Thou for me, my God,
So I shall walk aright.

"Take Thou my cup, and it
With joy or sorrow fill, ("It's all your decision, Lord; not mine.")
As best to Thee may seem;
Choose Thou my good and ill.
("You are going to get so pissed at this next verse.")

"Choose Thou for me my friends,
My sickness or my health; ("Are you angry yet?")
Choose Thou my cares for me
My poverty or wealth."
("Alright, you don't have to sing anymore.")

It was pretty damn funny.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home