Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I'm too tired to study, so I'm advocating the UCSC bus drivers

Got another Classical Soc Theory midterm on Friday. I didn't go to that class today because I was falling asleep in the class before that one. Luckily, my 8 am class is at Cowell and a couple buildings away from Curtis' dorm, so I stumbled over to his place and crashed for a good hour and a half. It's been one of those weeks when I can't get to sleep before 2 am, which sucks because four days out of the week I have to get up at seven.

After remembering the date today, I realized that seven years ago I was sent to BCA (11/2/98). I feel old.

Tomorrow the SC city buses should begin running again. One of the shuttle drivers last night was talking to a couple of us about the the city/campus bus system. The city buses don't charge UCSC students for rides if we show our ID cards (which is great, of course, if you want to go downtown; the regular fare is $1.50). They tally up the number of students who use their cards on the city buses, as do the campus shuttle drivers. The tallies determine each campus drivers' paycheck: more rides given=more $ earned. And these people need it; their salary is low. Their last strike only got them a 3% raise (which only became effective in October) along with a few benefits. The city bus system gets reimbursed for the "free" rides- but that money comes directly out of TAPS' funds (which have been in the red for a while), preventing the buying of new buses, building of parking lots, etc. (Another note: bus drivers, like all staff, have to buy university parking permits, which are pretty damn expensive.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home