Sunday, June 22, 2003

"Jesus loves me this I know"

Urg. I have a song in my head: "Jesus loves me this I know. For the Bible tells me so." Etc. I had to lead the kids in singing that song yesterday and it still lingers in my head. Not that I have anything against Jesus; I am simply a skeptic, not an antichrist.

In case you all are confused, I am not religious. But I do teach Sunday school. I guess you could call me spiritual, since I do believe in mysteries transcending ordinary life, but I don't subscribe to a particular religion. Which is sad, in my opinion. While I hate dogmatic people (the type who thinks that his religion or other belief system has all the answers and does not accept any new ideas), I do believe that my skepticism causes me to miss out on the comforts of faith. I would like to believe wholeheartedly in something; but I very rarely think of anything as certainty. Religion can be a beautiful thing; some of the rites and stories and hymns of different religions I have experienced have moved me deeply. Especially some of the traditions of the Catholic church, of which I have never belonged, that I have seen have touched me. But I don't think I'll ever buy into the entire doctrine of a single religion.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home